The “SugarProTech Facts” series gives an overview of critical points in beet sugar manufacture. The articles are written by the well-known sugar technologist and former President of the ESST Scientific Committee Jan Maarten de Bruijn. The objective is to develop practical guides for sugar scientists/technologists concerning common sugar technology issues they usually face in beet sugar processing. The guides will include theoretical background and practical implications with regard to (physico-)chemical process issues, as well as recommendations for process improvements and control.
Articles published so far:
- Impact of beet quality on sugar manufacture
- Technological aspects of the beet yard operation
- Lime salts: origin and control in beet processing
- Scale characteristics and removal
- Sugar hydrolysis and colour formation in processing
Jan Maarten de Bruijn
30 years of experience, first as researcher at CSM in the Netherlands under the guidance of Pieter van der Poel, and later at British Sugar and Südzucker.